KfW Stiftung is a foundation that engages directly with the major challenges facing our world – globalisation, environmental protection, climate and demographic change.
We support initiatives questioning established patterns, identify alternative strategies and offer platforms for cross-border exchange. Our aim is to encourage pioneering ideas, to create a diverse economy, environment, society and culture and to take responsibility for the world we live in.
The foundation’s main focus is on the following areas:
• Responsible Entrepreneurship
• Social Commitment
• Environment and Climate
• Art and Culture
Alongside its predominantly operational role, KfW Stiftung also provides support to promote and develop medium-term or long-term projects in its focus areas together with in collaboration with partners. Third parties are eligible for support on the basis of specific programmes. The transferability of projects is the most relevant factor in determining which projects will be supported as this ensures effective dissemination of innovative ideas.
Support includes not only funding but also the active involvement of KfW Stiftung’s own team in the projects.
The sole provision of financial resources to support the implementation of third party projects is not possible.
We will only consider applications by charitable organisations who are in line with the fundamental principles and core values of KfW Stiftung.
Given the objectives, the structure and the operations of KfW Stiftung, no donations or sponsorship will be provided for the following applications:
• Applications by individuals for scholarships, one-off grants for redevelopment, refurbishment, therapy costs etc., and applications by individuals requesting funds for charitable causes
• Start-up financing and operating grants
• Preservation of monuments, renovation, conservation and general construction work
• Events, congresses etc.
• Funding for equipment and printing costs
• Research projects, bachelor’s theses, master’s theses, diploma theses and doctoral theses
• Compensation for state benefits (compliance with conditions imposed by statutory or other obligations)
Due to capacity constraints, KfW Stiftung requests applicants to refrain from submitting applications for the above-named causes as such applications will not be processed. KfW Stiftung decides independently and at its sole discretion whether to accept or reject applications. There is no legal entitlement to be granted support.
Apllications will only be accepted if made in writing (either by post or electronic means). They can be submitted at any time and will be processed one a first-come first-served basis.
Applications requesting support for project initiatives must include the following information:
• Details on the organisation and its objectives
• Details on the applicant’s previous experience in the given area
• Project idea or project plan and intended effects
• Time schedule
• Intended collaboration partners and their contributions
• Costs and budget/financing and the amount of funding requested from KfW Stiftung
KfW Stiftung will examine whether the application is in line with its objectives, focus areas and eligibility factors and whether the project and the proposed budget are viable.
If accepted, projects will be supported on the basis of a grant agreement. Specific programmes will be supported on the basis of a letter of approval.
The grant agreement and/or the letter of approval will set out in detail for which purposes the funds may be used, taking into account the following principles:
• Funding is provided on the condition that KfW Stiftung may check during or after completion of a project if the funds have been used as agreed.
• Funds are earmarked for particular purposes.
• Grant holders are obliged to notify KfW Stiftung in writing of any significant changes to the project for which support has been granted. KfW Stiftung will then decide whether to go along with the changes or whether to cancel the grant. KfW Stiftung must give its written consent for any significant deviation from the budget and for the use of allocated funds for purposes other than those agreed.
• Projects must be completed within the agreed funding period. Funds are not limited to any particular financial year and are not cancelled at the end of a calendar year. Funds must be claimed and used within the specified funding period. There is no legal entitlement to unused funds after the funding period has ended. The funding period specified in the letter of approval may be extended on request.
Version: August 2015